One of the best things you can do for better health is take a cold shower daily. Very few people know the benefits to taking a cold shower daily and it’s a shame because it’s a very small change in your daily routine that produces massive results. In my opinion it is a fundamental foundation for health and longevity. Here are the top 10 reasons you should be taking cold showers daily:
1) Increases Immune System – Cold showers increase the amount of disease fighting white blood cells improving the immune system.
2) Eliminates Toxins – Cold water increases blood flow and contracts your muscles removing toxins as organs pump blood to the skin and flush toxins in the process providing organs with a fresh supply of blood.
3) Improves Testosterone – I’m telling you from experience you just plain feel better, stronger, and more masculine. That increase in testosterone during the shower carries over throughout the day making you feel sharper, energized and more motivated.
4) Decreases stress – Cold showers stimulate your nervous system giving your organs, glands and nervous system a good workout allowing you to handle stress better throughout the day in a more controlled and relaxed way.
5) Increases Alertness – A by product of increasing Testosterone through cold showers is better mental clarity and alertness right away and throughout the rest of the day.
6) Improves Discipline – Every time you step under that ice water you are increasing your discipline and bettering your life. Over time your body learns to adapt and it assimilates to cold much quicker and it starts to become enjoyable. Increasing discipline is one of the best traits that you can build because the only way to achieve any goal is through disciplining yourself to do what needs to be done.
7) Provides A Sense of Well Being – After taking a cold shower you are energized and ready to kick ass and take names. After a cold shower you have a better sense of well being and feel more motivated to take on all of the days challenges. The momentum starts with that first major decision of the day carries on throughout the rest of the day.
8) Speeds up muscle soreness and speeds up recovery – With better blood circulation the toxins produced from working out leaves your system quicker and the better circulation shuttles more nutrients to muscles allowing muscles to recover quicker. The cold will also reduce inflammation and soothes sore muscles.
9) Burns fat – Brown fat is an active tissue that burns white fat(the fat stored on your body). When brown fat is activated more white fat is burned. The longer you stand under cold water the more you’re activating brown fat. The important reason for taking cold showers daily is that brown fat increases the more it is exposed and the benefits keep adding up.
10) Refines Hair and Skin – When it comes to hair and skin, one of the most natural ways to maintain your appearance is cold showers. Hot water dries your skin and opens your pores leaving you more prone to dirt and acne. Cold water tightens your pores and cuticles keeping dirt out and less prone to acne. Cold showers also make your hair appear shinier, stronger and healthier by flattening hair follicles, and increasing their ability to grip the scalp.
If those benefits still aren’t enough to get you to turn that dial all the way to the right then here is a short list of more benefits from cold showers:
- Increases hormone levels
- Improves sexual performance and fertility
- Lowers blood sugar
- Cuts food cravings
- Improving adrenal function
- Helps fixing thyroid issues
- Improves deep sleep quality
- Increases pain tolerance
How to take a cold shower : The best way to take a cold shower is start with warm shower to clean with soap then turn the dial to as cold as it gets and turn your back to the water so that it hits your neck and back. Count for 30 seconds then turn around and let the water hit your chest. Count for another 30 seconds then turn to the sides to hit your arms and the rest of your body. Congratulations, you have sacrificed one minute of being uncomfortable for a whole day of feeling good.
After you are comfortable with 30 seconds back and 30 seconds front increase the time to 45 seconds each side, then 1 minute each side and keep increasing over the months until you can take a 10 minute shower. At that point the shower feels amazing and you forget why you never took them before before.
Tips for taking a cold shower
- Turn water hot for 10 seconds then turn cold.
- Take a deep breathe and hold then turn your back to the water.
- Work up a sweat before jumping in the shower.
- Focus on your breathing, take deep breathes and hold. Short deep breathes at the beginning then slow deep breathes and hold for the rest.
- Tell yourself that it’s easy.
- Be a man.
It never gets easy to take a cold shower but it does become more tolerable. If it were easy it would not provide the benefits to your body that they get from being stressed. Each time you step under the cold water you are building strength and endurance. The strength and endurance needed to persevere through the tough times. My mindset now after years of taking cold showers is that it is obviously going to be painful because that is the stress created that is going to provide the benefits that comes with it. Conditioning your brain to accept, survive and embrace discomfort will help immensely with taking cold showers and will carry over into every area of your life.
Remember, the more exposure to cold the more brown fat is created which will burn more white fat so if you have the chance add a cold shower before bed. Get that time in!
Until next time.