From Napoleon Hill’s book ” Keys To Success – The 17 Principles For Personal Achievement” these are the key points I took from Chapter 7 -Build a positive mental attitude.
For the full list of the 17 principles for personal achievement summarized you can go here.
7. BUILD A POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE
Positive mental attitude(PMA) is the single most important aspect of success.
How to develop a positive attitude –
- remember that every adversity, sorrow or defeat contains the seed of an equivalent or greater benefit which you can nurture and turn into a blessing
- close the door on your mind of all failures
- help others to acquire similar benefits – put principle of going the extra mile into action
- select a person in your opinion who is the finest person in the whole world that has ever lived or is alive now and make him/her your pace setter for the rest of your life emulating him/her in every possible way – figure out a plan to be exactly like him/her
- say or do something every single day that makes someone else feel good – one good deed a day keeps the negative thoughts away
- an idle mind becomes a negative mind
- if your having a tough time figuring out your problem help someone else with their problem
- study Ralph Waldo Emmerson’s Essay on compensation once a week to fully understand how the law of compensation works
- take complete inventory of every asset you posses – your best asset is the control of your mind
- find every person you have unjustly offended and offer sincere apology – forgive them and ask them to forgive you
- quality plus quantity of service rendered plus mental attitude equals compensation
- break all bad habits – abstain from bad habits one at time for a month until you show yourself who is boss
- comprehend that no one can hurt your feelings without your own consent
- frame every circumstance as happening for the best
- tune your mind to attract the things and situations you want with daily prayer of gratitude for what you already have – act as if you already have that what you desire
- do not try to control others
- exhort yourself to keep your body in shape
- reinforce habit of tolerance – learn to like people just as they are instead of demanding what you want them to be
- love is the best medicine for positive attitude – always give love to receive – the law of increasing returns – love changes the entire chemistry of your body
- personal power does not only come from material things alone
- admit that love is the finest medication for your body and your soul. It conditions it for a positive expression of a positive mental attitude
- return every benefit you receive with equal or greater value
- avoid fear of old age nothing is ever taken from you without being replaced by something equal or greater value. ex. youth replace by wisdom
- any disadvantage can be overcome
- welcome friendly criticism
- embrace an opportunity to see how others see you, look for ways to improve, encourage criticism
- look for differences between wishing, hoping , desiring and burning desire to achieve your goal
- say nothing that does not reflect PMA
- believe in the existence of infinite intelligence
- read this once a week for 6 months – your mental attitude will become and remain positive at all times
The 2 Percent Who Succeed Take These 6 steps:
- Wishing – most people go through life merely wishing for things, these wishes are as fleeting as the wind no power to shape anything – number of people who stop there is roughly 70 percent
- Develop wishes into desires – some people want the same thing constantly and that’s the end of their commitment – these people account for roughly 10 percent
- Develop wishes and desires into hopes – these people imagine from time to time that they might get what they seek – these people account for about 8 percent
- Translate that hope into belief and expect what they want will actually happen – 6 percent of people
- Crystalize wishes, desire and hopes into belief then turn that belief into a burning desire then finally into faith – 4 percent
- Take the last 2 steps then make a plan to get what they want and carry that plan out with faith and positive mental attitude -2 percent
Requirements for membership in the 2 percent club:
- Adjust yourself to other people’s states of mind and peculiarities to get along peacefully with them -observe a dog and observe self-control how quickly it adjust to master moods.
- Ignore trivial circumstances in your relations with others do not let become controversies – big people look past the small things.
- Establish control of your mind at the start of each day maintain throughout the day using the techniques for building PMA maintain all day.
- Learn the art of selling yourself indirectly by persuasion and example rather than hard sell.
- Develop a hearty laugh as a means to release anger.
- Analyze all your set backs and determine their causes and discover the seed of equivelant benefit in each circumstance.
- Concentrate your mind on the can do portion of the task you face and never think about what you can not, do not worry about what you cannot do.
- Turn all unpleasant circumstance into opportunities for positive action.
- Remember no one can win all of the time no matter how much he deserves it – maximize gain by increasing understanding of yourself.
- Look on life as continual learning process, bad experiences become good ones.
- Every thought you release comes back to you multiplied in its effect, monitor your thoughts and only send out what you want to receive.
- Avoid associates with negative mental attitudes their attitude rubs off on you.
- Be aware of the dual nature of your personality – positive with capacity for belief and negative for equal capacity for disbelief – always exercise the positive.
- Prayer brings the best results when you have sufficient faith to see yourself with the things you are praying for and you must have PMA of highest order.