From Napoleon Hill’s book ” Keys To Success – The 17 Principles For Personal Achievement” these are the key points I took from Chapter 13 -Learn from defeat and adversity.
For the full list of the 17 principles for personal achievement summarized you can go here.
13. LEARN FROM ADVERSITY AND DEFEAT
From every defeat you must become humble to acquire wisdom and understanding.
Always look for the seed of an equivalent benefit in every defeat you experience.
Defeat is not failure it is only a temporary event, it may be a blessing in disguise.
Most of the time the turning point at which you begin to attain success is usually defined by some form of defeat.
Our strength grows out of our weakness.
You must make a habit of looking for and recognizing the seed of the equivalent or greater benefit and coax and nurture it to benefit from adversity.
When you make this a habit, adversity becomes a blessing.
The most powerful and major causes of personal failure – when you recognize some in your own life do not beat yourself up for their presence in your life, you must resolve to do something about them and do it now.
- The habit of drifting through life without a definite major purpose
- Meddlesome curiosity about other people affairs
- Lack of self-discipline manifested as both uncontrolled appetite and indifference to opportunity
- Lack of ambition
- Ill-health that results from negative thinking and poor diet
- Unfavourable childhood influences
- Lack of persistence and follow through
- Negative mental attitude
- Lack of emotional control
- lack of positive mental attitude
- The desire to get something for nothing
- Failure to reach decision promptly and firmly when all the facts needed for the decision are available
- One or more of the seven basic fears – poverty, ill-health, criticism, loss of love, old age, death, loss of liberty
- Poor selection of a spouse
- Over-caution or lack of caution
- Poor choice of a vocation or an occupation
- Indiscriminate spending of time and money
- Lack of control over the tongue
- Failure to cooperate with others in a spirit of harmony
- Lack of vision and imagination
- Egotism and vanity
- Desire for revenge
- Unwillingness to go the extra mile
- Inadequate education
Benefits of defeat:
- defeat reveals and break bad habits replacing your energies for a fresh start with better habits
- defeat replaces vanity and arrogance with humility by paving the way for more harmonious relationship
- causes you to take inventory of your assets and liabilities both physical and spiritual
- strengthens willpower by providing it will challenge for greater effort
- defeat can be like resistance training
- you will make stronger and more powerful progress the next time
- attitude toward defeat is crucial to mastering it – loss of gain up to you
Every defeat carries with it the seed of an equivalent benefit
Accept defeat as an inspiration to try again with renewed confidence and determination and attaining success will only be a matter of time – the secret is a positive mental attitude that attracts success.
At sunrise every soul is born again.