From Napoleon Hill’s book ” Keys To Success – The 17 Principles For Personal Achievement” these are the key points I took from Chapter 4 – Use Applied Faith.
For the full list of the 17 principles for personal achievement you can go here.
4. Use APPLIED FAITH
Applied faith is a state of mind that must be cultivated.
Set aside 1 hour everyday to contemplate your relationship with infinite intelligence. Look for ways it is manifested in your life and for places where it’s power can be applied.
Clear your mind of negative thoughts – want, poverty, fear and disharmony and ill health.
Steps to take to build faith:
- Express a definite desire for the achievement of a purpose and relate it to 1 or more human motives
- Create a definite and specific plan for attaining that desire
- Start acting on that plan putting every conscious effort behind it –this is training the subconscious to act on faith.
The more you act on faith the more it opens to the power to create that desire. If you make your prayers an expression of gratitude and thanksgiving for blessing you already have instead of requests for things you do not have, you will obtain results much faster.
7 basic fears:
Signs of this fear: lack of ambition, mentally and physically lazy, excuses for failures, envy success of others, negative mental attitude, pessimism, live beyond your means
Cure: developing definiteness of purpose to eliminate fear of poverty with the aid of infinite intelligance
Signs of this fear: buying too expensive things to keep up with the jones, bragging about achievements, being easily embarrassed
Cure: repeated acts of courage
Signs of this fear: self pity, slightess aches and pains keep you in bed, substance abuse
Cure: stop covering up your fear of mental or physical pain – seek out the source of that pain and address it
4. Loss of love
Signs of this fear: worrying that you will lose a loved one
Cure: cultivate your relationships with a positive mental attitude and give them your all
5. Old age
Signs of this fear: convincing yourself your best years are in the past and you have let opportunity slip you by
Cure: have a positive appreciation for the wisdom and understanding you have gained.
6. Loss of Freedom
Signs of this fear: always afraid of losing you freedom
Cure: take an active role in defending the institutions that preserve your liberty
Signs of this fear: feeling that action is futile and effort is meaningless, ignoring the fact that every moment of your life is valuable and your own actions can have a positive effect far beyond your own situation.
Cure: have an obligation to act for the common good, replace fear with hope accept that it will come and there is nothing you can do about it.
Death is either one long eternal sleep or an experience on some plane far better than we have here on earth.
Set the thought of death aside, the more you fear it the more it will follow you around, the mind attracts anything that it dwells upon – stop thinking about the things you don’t want to happen and feed your mind with the pictures that you do want.
You must keep your mind focused on things, conditions and circumstances that you really want.
Persistant action backed by definiteness of purpose will pump up your faith.
Steps To Build Your Faith With PMA:
1. Adopt a definite major purpose and begin to obtain it.
2. Affirm the subject of your desire morning, afternoon and night.
3. Associate as many as possible of the 10 human motives with your definite major purpose as much as possible.
4. Write out a list of all the advantages of your definite major purpose.
5. Associate with people who are in sympathy with you and your purpose.
6. Don’t let one day pass by making at least one definite move towards your major purpose.
7. Choose a pace-setter, pick someone prosperous, self-reliant and successful make up your mind to catch up with that person and then to pass him or her by.
8. Surround yourself with books, pictures, mottos and other suggestive devices to reinforce acheivement and self-reliance.
9. Never run away from disagreeable circumstances fight them with all your resources right where you stand without a moments delay. Sometimes adverse circumstances are testing devices.
10. Recognize anything worth having has a definite price tag, it is worth working. Close the door of fear and open the door of faith.